It’s been said many times: Follow the money … and I believe it also applies to our health care system. Let me explain why we need 100,000 full-time and well trained health coaches in the US; why it’s not a dream but a necessity and a reality we’ll see sooner than we think.
Here we go:
The U.S. health care costs skyrocketed to $3.65 Trillion in 2018 and is projected to increase by at least 5.5% annually over the next decade. This number is so huge that you really have to see it numerically:
Just think about this: The US health spending accounted for 17.9 percent of GDP which is over $10,739 per person.
We also know that over 80% of today’s health care costs are connected to non-communicable or chronic diseases like obesity, diabetes, heart disease, pain and many different auto-immune disorders.
Traditional medicine solutions are mostly focused on “managing” these very expensive conditions and even new advances in technology won’t change that because they almost never address the root-causes.
There is vast agreement that this is not sustainable and more importantly that we won’t solve the health care crisis without new innovative ideas.
Now, here is my proposal:
We invest into health coaches on a national and global scale!
Hear me out.
We decide to spend 1% of the current health care cost and pay qualified health coaches which in turn will save 2-10% in health care costs annually (a conservative estimate):
That’s a whooping $70-180 BILLION in SAVINGS. WOW!
You might ask, how did you get to these numbers. Well, here’s a simple calculation:
- 120,000,000 (120 Million) households in the US
- 30,000,000 high-risk households that need coaching (about 20%)
- 100,000 health coaches support these high risk households
- 300 households will be coached (per health coach)
- $3,650,000,000,000 Total annual health care costs
Depending on some variables we can estimate:
- $182,500,000,000 (if 5% SAVED)
- $73,000,000,000 (if 2% SAVED)
- $73,000 Health Coach Annual Payments/Income
What each Health Coach would do is:
- Support and coach 300 households (about 1,000 individuals)
- Offer Health Coaching Group Sessions
- Work with individual or family in personal consultations
- Write Lifestyle Prescriptions® and engage clients to establish healthy habits
The best part is that people’s lives will improve, relationships will become more meaningful and we will live longer and healthier. And the health care cost saving could be re-invested into research, education or other much needed areas.
PS: Lets summarize: We invest 1% of health care costs into 100,000 highly qualified and efficient health coaches working with 300 households covering 30 million high-risk house holds and save Billions in return.
Sounds like a no-brainer to me!
The only problem is that unless we take action and demand a new health care system based on prevention and lifestyle medicine it won’t happen.
Here’s a solution:
- SHARE this article to everyone you know in social media
- DEMAND to have the option to work with a health coach. Ask your doctor if he offers Preventive and Lifestyle Medicine options. If not find a new doctor or clinic.
Johannes R. Fisslinger
Founder Lifestyle Prescriptions University